- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 jar (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon diced pimientos
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 pound process American cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
- In a large saucepan, saute asparagus, onion and garlic in butter for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Add curry powder; simmer 5 more minutes. Add mushrooms and pimientos. Stir in chicken broth and milk. Heat, but do not boil. Add cheese cubes and stir until melted. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forChunky Asparagus Soup
"I've been making this recipe for a number of years and it's definitely a favorite! I omit the the pimento and add cooked carrots and bacon instead."
"I've made various asparagus soups, but this one is special by the curry powder - perfect! I will also use freshly-sauteed mushrooms, not canned, and will add some frozen hash browns as I do to most soups for a bit more chowder consistency. Asparagus soup tastes like spring!"