Chunky Apple Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well (batter will be stiff). Stir in apples until well combined.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until top is lightly browned and springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and butter. Cook over medium heat until butter is melted. Gradually add cream. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Serve with cake.
Test Kitchen Tips
Oct 4, 2019
Scott-- What on earth did you do? I have made this cake AT LEAST 30 times since it was first published in 2006. It was delicious every single time. The batter is full of apples so the first time I made it I wasn't sure there would be enough batter to hold it together but there was! I am often asked to bring this cake to parties, get-togethers, school events, etc. I'm printing out a new copy of the recipe b/c mine is so smudged up from using so many times.
Oct 2, 2019
This was a huge disappointment. It does smell good so I am hoping that serving it hot with a scoop of ice cream may make it edible so it doesn't have to be dumped in the garbage, I don't have extra in food budget to be throwing away food. The stiffness of the "batter?" IS a cause for concern. I am going to try to save this mess and will never make it again.
Sep 30, 2019
Absolutely delicious! I also used 1 cup of White sugar and 1 cup of Brown sugar. Added 1/4 tsp more of cinnamon. Doubled the Butterscotch sauce and cooked for 20 minutes or so for thicker consistency. I served it warm with the sauce and a scoop of French Vanilla Ice Cream. My son and his wife took half the cake home for their family and will be bringing me more apples to make this again.
Sep 28, 2019
Delicious! I followed some of the suggestions and used 1 cup of white sugar and i/2 cup of brown sugar. Added 1 cup of raisins and just sprinkled with powdered sugar. Frosting or sauce is not needed!
Sep 8, 2019
This is a great cake. Kinda had a panic moment when I found out there wasn’t enough cinnamon in the pantry. So I put what cinnamon and nutmeg was back on the shelf and grabbed the Pumpkin Pie Spice. Threw in a scant Tblsp. Problem solved. There WILL be a next time making this cake so it’ll be to try the original “as written” version.
Feb 9, 2019
What this cake lacks in a lovely presentation it makes up for in flavor! It was moist
Oct 16, 2018
Good flavor and texture. Followed recommendation to reduce sugar (I did 1 cup white sugar and 1/2 c brown sugar). Also nutmeg flavor seems a little strong (I would reduce and possibly increase cinnamon if necessary). Make sure you choose to use tart apples to get the best flavor.
Oct 4, 2018
The cake was moist and good and the sauce made it even better. I used 1 1/4 cups of sugar and that worked perfectly.
Sep 30, 2018
I decreased the amount of sugar per previous reviewers recommendations to 1 1/4 cup sugar. I didn't spend the times and effort making the sauce, rather some caramel syrup and whipped cream instead. This cake doesn't really need any toppings as it is delicious by itself.
Sep 26, 2018
This is awesome cake...but I only use 3/4 cup of sugar....and that is still plenty sweet...especially with the sauce on top..... Most of the time I don't even use the sauce because the cake is delicious by itself and I only sprinkle confectioners sugar on top just before serving.... :) Easy and delicious!