Chunky Apple Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well (batter will be stiff). Stir in apples until well combined.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until top is lightly browned and springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and butter. Cook over medium heat until butter is melted. Gradually add cream. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Serve with cake.
Test Kitchen Tips
Oct 6, 2017
While the recipe is simple, the cake was very sweet. I would reduce the sugar to 1 1/4-1 1/2 cups.
Aug 25, 2017
I took this cake to a party this past weekend and it disappeared in a heartbeat -- everyone wanted the recipe! It is moist and delicious and easy to make. I will definitely be baking this again soon!
Aug 13, 2017
Apr 2, 2017
Reduced sugar to 1 1/2 cups and left out cinnamon as I don't care for it. It turned out really well. Loved the butterscotch sauce which was wonderful with the whipped cream. Good compliments were received!
Mar 18, 2017
Really good. I had a dinner party and the person who was supposed to bring dessert couldn't make it. I didn't have everything the recipe called for. I used ingredients I had on hand to create this yummy cake. I only had 1 1/2 Braeburn apples left over from a fruit salad, so I used that and a cup of applesauce. I used 1 cup of white sugar and 1/2 cup of brown. I also only used a 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon of cloves. 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1/3 teaspoons baking power 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. I baked these into cupcakes at 350 for 25 minutes. I didn't make the topping but just dusted the tops with powdered sugar. The batter was kind of like cookie dough. These were mouse and delicious. Everyone really enjoyed these and said I should make again.
Jan 19, 2017
Absolutely the perfect dessert- easy to make and delicious to eat! A definite keeper!
Nov 21, 2016
Easy, the sauce was the best, will uses sauce for other receipts.
Aug 6, 2016
I've made this recipe numerous times and always get raving reviews. Best apple cake recipe by far!
May 13, 2016
I love apple cake and have struggled to find one that I really like and would make again. This is it! It is also versatile. You can add a little less sugar, more or less of your spices, with or without a topping. It is really good with a scoop of ice cream! I found it was a decadent dessert with a praline sauce drizzled over it.
Jan 3, 2016
I found the recipe way too sweet. I will definitely repeat it but I'll do 1 1/4 cup of sugar instead, everything else was great. That would be my best advice.