- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup spiced rum
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, egg, rum, vanilla and salt until blended. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Stir in flour until a stiff dough forms. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead seven times.
- Divide dough into three portions. Roll one portion into a 1/4-in.-thick rectangle, about 12 in. x 5-1/2 in. Cut in half lengthwise, then cut dough widthwise into 1-1/2-in.-wide strips. Cut a 3/4-in. lengthwise slit down the center of each strip; pull one of the ends through the slit, forming a bow. Repeat.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry cookies, a few at a time, for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners’ sugar. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews forChrusciki Bow Tie Cookies
"Can't wait to try these. They look like what my grandmother use to make. She was Lithuanian and her 1st husband was Polish."
"Just like my mom used to make when I was a little girl. Except she used to say they were Italian and called them bow ties! I chnaged the recipe just slightly and used flavored rum (cherry). EXCELLENT!!!!"