I look forward to this every recipe every year. I make it and give it as gifts to friends and family.—Margaret Foreman, La Verne, California
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves, 16 servings
- 9 ounces pitted dried plums, cooked, drained and mashed (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled apples
- 3/4 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Candied cherries, optional
- Combine all filling ingredients in a bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to use. For dough, combine warm milk, sugar, salt and yeast in a bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, shortening and 3 cups flour; mix until smooth. Add enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll each half into an 18x9-in. rectangle. Spread each with half of the filling. Starting at the long end, roll up tightly and seal edges. Place on a greased baking sheet, sealing ends together and forming ring. With a scissors, cut two-thirds of the way through the ring at 1-in. intervals. Carefully turn each section onto its side. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, 30-45 minutes. Bake at 350° for 25-20 minutes or until golden. Cool for 20 minutes. Beat confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Remove wreaths to platter; drizzle with icing while warm. Decorate with candied cherries if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 428 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 245mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.