Christmas Tree Sugar Cookies
My family's all time favorite cookie. Great whether you frost with a simple butter cream frosting or simply sprinkle with colored sugar. --Janaan Cunningham
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons milk
- Green paste food coloring
- Light bulb-shaped sprinkles
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4x3-in. tree-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. For icing, combine confectioners' sugar and milk. Remove 1/3 cup icing to a small bowl; tint dark green with food coloring. Tint remaining icing light green; spread over cookies. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; fill bag with dark green icing. Pipe zigzag lines onto trees for Christmas lights; decorate with sprinkles.
1 each: 214 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 182mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC