Christmas Tree Brownies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Green paste food coloring, optional
- Assorted nonpareils
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with foil, letting ends extend up sides; grease foil. In a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar and salt. Stir in vanilla and chocolate mixture. Gradually add flour, mixing well.
- Spread into prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until brownie begins to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Lifting with foil, remove brownie from pan. Cut brownie to form a tree (save trimmings for another use). If desired, tint frosting green. Frost tree; decorate as desired. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 brownie: 286 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 145mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Nov 30, 2017
I hate to be snarky about this, but why go to the trouble of making real "from scratch" brownies only to cover them with nasty frosting from a can??!? Homemade butter cream is not exactly brain surgery and it tastes so much better!
Dec 22, 2014
Jaymehale , I would appreciate having the original recipe. Please post it, if you don't mind.Have a very Merry Christmas!
Feb 7, 2014
Dec 31, 2013
This brownie tree recipe was a big hit with everyone!!! My daughter had the most fun adding candy decorations!! I'll be adding this recipe to our holiday treats!
Dec 21, 2013
These are simple, and delicious. I made the Rudolph version for my kids! That version is in the Taste of Home Magazine/December 2013 edition. If you can't find the candy eyes, you can use white candies, and dab a little black gel frosting onto the centers!
Nov 17, 2013
I wish Taste of Home had posted my mom's actual recipe because it is a family favorite. I'm a bit disappointed that they changed the name, the pic, and a few of the ingredients because her brownies are great the way she makes them.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.