Christmas Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- White candy coating
- Green paste food coloring
- 1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the egg, sour cream, honey and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and chill for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with 3-in. cookie cutters dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Melt candy coating; stir in food coloring. Drizzle over cookies. Yield: about 8 dozen.
Reviews for Christmas Sugar Cookies
"I haven't baked these yet so I can't rate them, but had to put in one so I put in a 1 star rating. I wanted to know what is"ground mace"?? I've never heard of it before. Thanks so much!!"
"This was a nice, soft sugar cookie. However, the flavor from the mace was overpowering. I would suggest either using 1/2 of the amount called for in the recipe or substitute either cinnamon or a little nutmeg in its place. I will make these cookies again, just with modifications to fit my family's tastes"
"Excellent taste and texture."
"My family and friends loved these cookies! I will make this every Christmas."
"The perfect recipe! It works just like it says. Only change is that I rolled 1/4 the dough out at a time between sheets of plastic wrap. Nice flavor and great texture."