Christmas Stollen Ring Recipe
It's common for German families to gather on Christmas Eve to eat this traditional sweet bread. I've been cooking and baking for more than 35 years and especially enjoy doing so during the holidays.
- 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped candied fruit
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Red and green candied cherries, halved
- 1. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the milk, butter and water to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Beat in eggs until smooth. Stir in the raisins, candied fruit, walnuts, and lemon and orange peel. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle; spread butter to within 1/2 in. of edges. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Place, seam side down, on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends together to form a ring. With a scissors, cut from outside edge two-thirds of the way toward center of the ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate strips lightly; twist to allow filling to show, slightly overlapping with the previous piece. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
- 3. For glaze, combine the sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over warm stollen. Decorate with candied cherries. Yield: l loaf.
1 slice: 370 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 276mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Christmas Stollen Ring
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC