- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Confectioners' sugar
- Dissolve yeast in warm water until foamy. In another bowl, combine milk, egg, butter, sugar and salt; add yeast mixture and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four portions. Roll one portion into a 12-in. circle. Place on a greased 14-in. pizza pan. Spread with one-third of the jam to within 1/2 in. from edge. Repeat twice, layering dough and jam, and ending with final portion of dough.
- Place a 2-1/2-in. round cutter on top of the dough in center of circle (do not press down). With a sharp knife, make 16 evenly spaced cuts from round cutter to edge of dough, forming a starburst. Remove cutter; grasp two strips and rotate twice outward. Pinch ends together. Repeat with remaining strips.
- Cover with plastic wrap; let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake until golden brown, 18-22 minutes. (Watch during final 5 minutes for any dripping.) Remove from oven; brush with melted butter, avoiding areas where jam is visible. Cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forChristmas Star Twisted Bread
"Didn't make this yet, but for those looking for a video... this isn't in English, nor is it a video, but the pictures pretty much show how to do the twisting. I will be trying this soon, so will update review when I do!http://www.webopskrifter.dk/opskrifter/kanelstjerne-opskrift-21764/"
"Where do you find the video for this? I need to see the process. Thanks."
"SUGGESTION : Google "Star bread" video the recipe might be different, but the technique is the same."
"BigRon2 is absolutely right-video please!"
"you should have a video on forming the star"
"After reading some of the reviews, I was worried about the baking clear through. No problem here. I will definitely be making this again. I subbed strawberry preserves because family would like it better and I also used more than the called amount."
"Delicious, gorgeous bread! We're not a a jam family, so I added cinnamon-sugar instead and we loved it! A definite keeper!"