- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Confectioners' sugar
- Dissolve yeast in warm water until foamy. In another bowl, combine milk, egg, butter, sugar and salt; add yeast mixture and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four portions. Roll one portion into a 12-in. circle. Place on a greased 14-in. pizza pan. Spread with one-third of the jam to within 1/2 in. from edge. Repeat twice, layering dough and jam, and ending with final portion of dough.
- Place a 2-1/2-in. round cutter on top of the dough in center of circle (do not press down). With a sharp knife, make 16 evenly spaced cuts from round cutter to edge of dough, forming a starburst. Remove cutter; grasp two strips and rotate twice outward. Pinch ends together. Repeat with remaining strips.
- Cover with plastic wrap; let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake until golden brown, 18-22 minutes. (Watch during final 5 minutes for any dripping.) Remove from oven; brush with melted butter, avoiding areas where jam is visible. Cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forChristmas Star Twisted Bread
"Be sure to read through the directions thoroughly before starting to form the star shape. The end result tastes great and is beautiful!"
"Didn't make this yet, but for those looking for a video... this isn't in English, nor is it a video, but the pictures pretty much show how to do the twisting. I will be trying this soon, so will update review when I do!http://www.webopskrifter.dk/opskrifter/kanelstjerne-opskrift-21764/"
"Where do you find the video for this? I need to see the process. Thanks."
"SUGGESTION : Google "Star bread" video the recipe might be different, but the technique is the same."
"BigRon2 is absolutely right-video please!"
"you should have a video on forming the star"
"After reading some of the reviews, I was worried about the baking clear through. No problem here. I will definitely be making this again. I subbed strawberry preserves because family would like it better and I also used more than the called amount."