Christmas Special Fruitcake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours + cooling
- 3 cups coarsely chopped Brazil nuts or other nuts (walnuts, pecans or hazelnuts)
- 1 pound pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup halved maraschino cherries
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the nuts, dates and cherries. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; add to nut mixture, stirring until nuts and fruit are well coated.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs until foamy; stir in vanilla. Fold into nut mixture and mix well. Pour into a greased parchment-lined 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 300° for 1-3/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 230 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 71mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Jul 13, 2017
We love this fruitcake! We give it for Christmas gift!!
Dec 8, 2016
I started making this fruitcake with my Mother when I was 10, I'm now 71. I like more "cake" so I double the batter mix...works fine. I also put it in a smaller "loaf pan" and cook for 55 mins before checking (7,000 ft. alt). I have allergies too (avocado and lobster...bummer) but use pineapple chunks in place of the nuts and/or add Craisins too. You might like dried apricots.It is important NOT TO USE CANDIED fruit. Just have fun with it.
Dec 7, 2016
I would really like to make this, but what can I put instead of nut. It is because I am allergic to all nuts which sucks.
Dec 13, 2015
This is the second year that I have made this fruitcake. This year I exchanged the dates for one pound of coarsely chopped candied cherries and pineapple. It is moist and delicious! I will be making this recipe for years to come.
Nov 22, 2015
I've made this for over 50 years, except I leave the dates, nuts and fruit whole. We've always called it Treasure Loaf.
Feb 22, 2015
GREAT cake but a bit dry for my liking. What I did was add an additional 1/4 cup all purpose flour, additional 1/4 cup sugar, 1 cup drained canned diced pineapple, reduced from 3 to 2 1/2 cups nuts (walnuts) and after cooled I drenched cake with 4 ounces of a good brandy or Grand Marnier .... this is just EXCELLENT.
Dec 13, 2014
This was the BEST, even I couldn't screw it up!
Jan 3, 2014
After making this fruitcake once, I have been asked to make it more frequently throughout the year.
Jan 3, 2013
This is a very heavy dry fruit cake. The taste is very good though.
Dec 14, 2012
This was my first time baking a fruit cake so I was very nervous trying this recipe. It turned out GREAT, very moist and tasty. This has become a Christmas favorite at my house!