Looking to add a dash of Christmas color to your appetizer mix? Topped with roasted peppers, caramelized onions, beef and black olives, this popular pizza is as tasty as it is decorative on the table.
Recommended: How to Make Santa Bread
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tube (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
- In a nonstick skillet, heat butter and oil; add onion. Cook and stir over low heat for 30-35 minutes or until onion is caramelized. In another skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Sprinkle cornmeal into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Press pizza dough into pan; prick dough with a fork. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Top with the beef, caramelized onion, cheese, red peppers, tomato and olives. Bake 10-12 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Cut into squares; serve warm. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Christmas Pizza Strips in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2004, p31