- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tube each red and green decorating frosting
- Holiday sprinkles
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to egg mixture with milk and butter, beating well after each addition. (Batter will be thick).
- Spread evenly into a greased and floured 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely. Cut a thin slice off each side of cake. Cut cake into 1-1/4-in. squares. Freeze cakes.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, water and cream of tartar. Bring to a boil, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 226°. Cool to 100°; beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- Keeping glaze warm, dip cake squares into glaze with a two-tine fork, allowing excess to drip off. Place on wire racks over waxed paper. Add hot water, 1 teaspoon at a time, if glaze becomes too thick. Let dry completely. Decorate with frosting and sprinkles. Yield: 70 petit fours.
Reviews forChristmas Petits Fours
"I'll keep looking. Mine don't look like this either. The glaze is not this white; it's very transparent."
"I followed the recipe and my petite fours do not look like this.I poured the glaze over them 3 times and they did not whiten up."