VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 jar (12 ounces) orange marmalade, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 12 slices French bread (1-1/2 inches thick)
- 5 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, pineapple and 1/4 cup marmalade until light and fluffy. Stir in pecans. Cut a pocket in the side of each slice of bread; fill with cream cheese mixture.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and 1 cup cream. Dip both sides of bread into egg mixture.
- Cook on a greased hot griddle until golden brown, 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine orange juice and remaining marmalade. Cook and stir over medium heat until smooth. Add remaining cream; heat through. Dust French toast with confectioners' sugar and serve with sauce. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Christmas Morning French Toast in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p144