- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/4 cups cold butter, divided
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Melt 1/4 cup butter; set aside. Combine 1 cup flour, sugar and salt; add to yeast mixture. Add the milk, 1 egg and melted butter; beat until smooth.
- Place remaining flour in a large bowl; cut in remaining butter until crumbly. Add yeast mixture; mix well. Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead about six times. Divide dough into four pieces. Roll each piece into a 16-in. circle; cut each circle into eight wedges.
- Roll up wedges from the wide ends and place point side down 3 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Curve ends to form crescents. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Beat water and remaining egg; brush over rolls. Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm. Yield: 32 rolls.
Reviews forChristmas Morning Croissants
"Finally, an easy croissant recipe. Flaky, buttery and delicious. I love that this can be started the night before. I made these for Easter brunch, and they were gone in a few hours."
"perfectly buttery and light. made these on greased foil sheet and bottom came out too dark, but on wax paper they were perfectly browned."
"excellant, made for Easter and everyone loved them"
"They did not grow but were good nevertheless. I made them with blueberry filling."
"These croissants are SO good! They are so light and buttery. I love them."
"easy and great. I prepared these for a brunch and they all went."
"I make these croissants a little smaller than the original recipe for most family gatherings and everyone really loves them."
"These are wonderful! Not as fluffy as tradition croissants but a lot less work and still flaky and soft. I will be making these again and again!"
"I decided to try these, for the first time, they are EXCELLENT! My family really enjoyed these rolls, and so did I. Thank you for sharing this with us."