Christmas Molasses Cookies
Nothing smells better than warm molasses cookies baking on a cold winter day! These cookies look lovely when they're cut out in holiday shapes.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
Makes6-7 dozen (2-1/2-inch cookies)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- In a bowl, cream sugar and butter. Blend in orange juice, corn syrup and molasses. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Chill 3-4 hours or overnight. Roll dough, a portion at a time, on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut into desired shapes. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes. Cookies will be soft and chewy if baked 12 minutes; crunchy if baked longer.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 111 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 123mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Christmas Molasses Cookies in Country December/January 1994
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.