- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground venison
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons beef gravy mix
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups hot mashed potatoes (prepared without added butter or milk)
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a large skillet, cook pork and venison over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in water, onions, carrot, gravy mix, thyme, mustard, garlic, sage, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Drain. Stir in potatoes.
- Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge. Add meat mixture. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Make decorative cutouts or cut slits in pastry; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges.
- Brush pastry and cutouts with milk; place cutouts on the pie. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° bake 35-40 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forChristmas Meat Pie
"This week the VFE’s were challenged to prepare a new recipe using something in our freezer or pantry. I had a package of frozen ground pork in my freezer, 2 lonely potatoes, and a couple of carrots that were on the edge. I searched the files, and found this. The only things I didn’t have were the venison and the gravy mix, so I substituted a couple tablespoons of Lipton onion soup mix and a little flour, and used only pork. I’m sure I lost a little flavor by not using venison, but that is really hard to come by here in FL. What a lovely pie. It had a really nice flavor, and texture. I will definitely make this again. I like that it used rosemary and thyme, two of my favorite herbs, and I used them fresh from my herb garden. If you are looking for a way to use up ground pork, this is it"
"I didn't have the pork, but wow, this recipe is the closest to my great grandmothers. My husband ate 3 pieces."