Christmas Gingerbread House Recipe
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 egg whites
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. In a bowl, cream the shortening and brown sugar. Add eggs, corn syrup, cinnamon and ginger; mix well. Combine flour and baking soda; gradually add to egg mixture and beat until combined. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Trace patterns without foldlines onto waxed paper and cut out. Trace patterns with foldlines onto folded waxed paper. Cut out and unfold for complete patterns. Cut out the windows and doors as directed on patterns and discard.
- 3. From waxed paper, also cut an 8-1/2 x 6-in. rectangle for the roof, a 1-7/8 x 1-1/4-in. rectangle for doors, a 1-3/8 x 2-3/8-in. rectangle for back of chimney and a 1-3/8- x 7/8-in. rectangle for front of chimney.
- 4. Roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Position patterns on dough and cut out as directed. Using a sharp knife, score outlines to mark doors and windows where indicated on patterns, being careful not to cut all the way through dough.
- 5. Using remaining waxed paper patterns, cut out two 8-1/2- x 6-in. rectangles for the roof, two 1-7/8- x 1-1/4-in. rectangles for doors, one 1-3/8-x 2-3/8-in. rectangle for back of chimney and one 1-3/8- x 7/8-in. rectangle for front of chimney.
- 6. If desired, also cut out 20 gingerbread people with cookie cutter. Remove dough scraps. Transfer all cutouts to greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-13 minutes or until browned. Immediately replace patterns on cutouts and cut around edges to trim excess. Cool for 2 minutes before carefully removing cutouts to wire racks to cool completely.
- 7. Making icing: Place egg whites in a bowl. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 8. Add confectioners' sugar and cream of tartar; beat on low speed for 1 minute. Beat on high for 8-10 minutes or until a knife cut through icing leaves a line.
- 9. Cover icing when not being used. Yield: 1 house and twenty 2-inch people.
Editor’s Note: This icing is for decorative purposes only. If the gingerbread house will be eaten, substitute a royal icing recipe using meringue powder.
Download Patterns (PDF)>
Reviews for Christmas Gingerbread House
"On line item "2." it states: "Trace patterns", if you look closely you can see that the word "patterns" is a slightly different color, that is because the word "patterns" is your hyper-link to the patter...meaning click on it & you can then see it opens another tab with the patter. :) Hope this helps!"
"I'd love to make it a first time, but where's the template to use?"
"Originally published as Gingerbread House III in 'Country Woman' Nov/Dec 2000, p28. Good image to make!"
"I used this gingerbread template and I was surprised how easy it was to peace together. It was also my first attempt at making a gingerbread house :)"