Christmas Eve Clam Chowder
Our Christmas Eve is all about fabulous seafood and classic movies. We have our clam chowder while watching Holiday Inn. —Pamela Stepp, Westminster, SC
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1-3/4 pounds medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 7-9 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup potato water.
- Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add celery, carrots and onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in cream and reserved potato water. Bring to a boil; cook 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Add clams, seasonings and potatoes; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 599 calories, 50g fat (31g saturated fat), 186mg cholesterol, 462mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Christmas Eve Clam Chowder in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016