VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-3/4 pounds medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 7-9 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup potato water.
- Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add celery, carrots and onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in cream and reserved potato water. Bring to a boil; cook 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Add clams, seasonings and potatoes; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Christmas Eve Clam Chowder in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p39