Christmas Cookie Ornaments Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Assorted liquid or paste food coloring
- 9 yards of 1/8-inch-wide ribbon in Christmas colors of your choice
- Christmas cookie cutters or sizes of your choice
- 1. In a bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar. Beat in the honey, egg and vanilla. Gradually add the flour and salt.
- 2. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and roll to an 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into shapes using cookie cutters dipped in flour. Transfer cutouts to ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Using a straw, make a hole in the top of each cookie. Remove the center circle of dough. Bake the cookies at 350° for 6 minutes until the edges are lightly browned. Remove the cookies to wire racks to cool.
- 4. For frosting, combine the confectioners' sugar, water, corn syrup and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Tint the frosting with liquid or paste food coloring in desired colors.
- 5. Place each color of frosting in a pastry or plastic bag. Cut a small hole in the tip of each bag. Spread and pipe frosting onto cookies as desired.
- 6. If desired, create stitch marks on a stocking or veins on holly leaves by dipping a toothpick in food coloring and painting on the lines.
- 7. For hanging loops, cut forty 8-in. strips of 1/8-in.-wide ribbon. Thread a ribbon strip through the hole in each cookie and tie the ends into a bow. Yield: 40(3-inch) cookies.
Crafter thoughts: To help give your frosting a smooth look, work quickly when spreading it on the cookies. Write a name on each treat by painting the letters with a toothpick dipped in food coloring or by piping them using plain or tinted frosting. Then serve the cookies after a holiday meal.
1 each: 176 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 41mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Christmas Cookie Ornaments
"cookie ornaments was a tradition my mother experienced as a child in the 1930's; her parents were 1st generation German Amercians and this was a German family tradition. The cookies were simply frosted with a powdered sugar glaze and sprinkled with colored sugar."