Christmas Chicken Cordon Bleu
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 3 thin slices fully cooked ham, halved
- 3 slices Swiss cheese, halved
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- Hot cooked rice
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Flatten chicken breast to 1/4-in. thickness; layer each with one piece of ham and one piece of cheese. Roll up each jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; secure with toothpicks.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt and paprika. In another bowl, beat egg and milk. Place bread crumbs in a third bowl. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, dip in egg mixture, then roll in bread crumbs.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in butter. Add broth and parsley. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 40-50 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- Remove toothpicks. Place rice on a serving platter; top with chicken and keep warm. Combine soup and sour cream; heat through but do not boil. Serve with chicken and rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 316 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 1005mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Nov 9, 2010
This recipe is very good. I made it with turkey ham as I don't eat pork. I also used stock vs. broth, which I think gave the sauce a better flavor. I liked the recipe overall, but think it would be easier baked, instead of cooking for 60 minutes, stirring every so often. What temperature you bake it at who reviewed it below?
Oct 25, 2010
Great recipe! so delicious
Oct 14, 2010
Wonderful and very easy, too. I baked covered for the same amount of time and froze them for convenient meal at a later time.
Jun 26, 2010
My husband and guests thought it was delicious. I would only make 1/2 the gravy next time.
Feb 14, 2010
We LOVED it! I added chicken broth to the sauce to thin it out a little and make more. We love gravy and this was a nice extra to the chicken and delicious.
Dec 27, 2009
We made this for a Christmas meal, and it was delicious! Mine came out just as beautiful as the picture. It's worthy of a special occasion.
Dec 26, 2009
I took a chance on this recipe without trying it first. I made it for Christmas dinner! Rave reviews all around the table. Wonderful recipe.
Dec 22, 2009
It is an awsome show stopper!! It is not hard to make and freezes after cooked in pan for later without problems.
Dec 21, 2009
My sister and I made this for our family Christmas party. I cooked my chicken in an electric skillet and she baked hers in the oven. Both turned out great. I substituted smoked paprika for the regular paprika and I used fresh ground pepper too.
Dec 21, 2009
Would make it again, but since my husband and I are Lactose Intolerant, I changed the sauce topping to Hollandaise, adding the juice of 1/3 of a lemon. I am not fond of canned creamed soups which I find way to salty, and this sauce combined with sour cream was a bit much.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.