Christmas Cherry Pie
Vibrant color and a medley of fruit in its filling make this pretty pie a standout. "This special dessert always brings compliments," says Mrs. Clifford Davis of Fort Smith, Arkansas. "The combination of cherries, pineapple, bananas and nuts appeals to most everyone."
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 package (3 ounces) cherry gelatin
- 10 to 13 drops red food coloring, optional
- 3 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Whipped topping
- Drain cherries, reserving 2 tablespoons juice (discard remaining juice or save for another use). In a large saucepan, combine sugar and flour. Stir in the pineapple, cherries and reserved juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add gelatin powder; stir until dissolved. Stir in food coloring if desired. Cool until partially set.
- Stir in bananas and pecans. Pour into the pie shell. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Garnish with whipped topping.