Christmas Cherry Citrus Pastries
Homemade candied citrus strips were the inspiration for these petite cream cheese-rich cherry pastries. They take a little extra time to prepare but are well worth it!—Lily Julow, Lawrenceville, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 2 large grapefruit
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 1/3 cup cherry preserves
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel grapefruit making wide strips. With a sharp knife, carefully remove white pith from peel. Cut peel into 1/4-in. strips. (Save fruit for another use.)
- Place grapefruit strips in a small saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook 10 minutes; drain.
- In same saucepan, combine 2/3 cup water, sugar and grapefruit strips; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until peels are transparent, 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer strips to a wire rack placed over a baking pan. Let stand overnight. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk flour and sugar. Cut in butter and cream cheese until mixture is crumbly. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times.
- Roll dough into a 12x10-in. rectangle or oval. Starting with a shorter side, fold dough into thirds, forming a 4x10-in. rectangle. Place folded dough with longer side facing you; repeat rolling and folding twice, always ending with a 4x10-in. rectangle. (If at any point the butter softens, chill after folding.) Cover folded dough; refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in. square. Cut into 2-in. squares. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle. Fill each with a heaping 1/4 teaspoon preserves.
- Bake until golden brown, 12-14 minutes. Top with candied peel; remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 pastry: 116 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 61mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Christmas Cherry Citrus Strips in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014