Homemade candied citrus strips were the inspiration for these petite cream cheese-rich cherry pastries. They take a little extra time to prepare but are well worth it!—Lily Julow, Lawrenceville, Georgia
Recommended: 65 Stress-Free Recipes for the Holidays
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 large grapefruit
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 1/3 cup cherry preserves
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel grapefruit making wide strips. With a sharp knife, carefully remove white pith from peel. Cut peel into 1/4-in. strips. (Save fruit for another use.)
- Place grapefruit strips in a small saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook 10 minutes; drain.
- In same saucepan, combine 2/3 cup water, sugar and grapefruit strips; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 12-15 minutes or until peels are transparent, stirring occasionally.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer strips to a wire rack placed over a baking pan. Let stand overnight. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk flour and sugar. Cut in butter and cream cheese until mixture is crumbly. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times.
- Roll dough into a 12x10-in. rectangle or oval. Starting with a shorter side, fold dough into thirds, forming a 4x10-in. rectangle. Place folded dough with longer side facing you; repeat rolling and folding twice, always ending with a 4x10-in. rectangle. (If at any point the butter softens, chill after folding.) Wrap folded dough in plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in. square. Cut into 2-in. squares. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle. Fill each with a heaping 1/4 teaspoon preserves.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Top with candied peel; remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Cherry Citrus Pastries in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014