Christmas Candle Cheese Spread
My sister shared this recipe with me when I was in school and still learning to cook. It's an excellent appetizer that's remained a favorite through the years. —Patty Glasgow, Dresden, Ontario
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 medium sweet red pepper
- 1 medium green pepper
- Assorted crackers
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, sour cream, onions, Worcestershire and hot pepper sauce until blended. Form 1/2 cup cheese mixture into a 4-in. circle. Coat with parsley.
- Form the remaining cheese mixture into a cylinder; roll in sesame seeds. Place on top of circle. Cut a piece of red pepper to resemble a flame; insert into the top of the candle. Cut one ring from the green pepper; cut in half. Position one half on the side for handle. (Save remaining peppers for another use.) Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 70 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 89mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Christmas Candle Cheese Spread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2003