"During my childhood, my family lived in Brazil, where we relished these special treats," recalls Laura Beth Dean of Christiansburg,Virgina. Roll the caramel-like bites in nuts or sprinkles.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Finely chopped pistachios
- In a small heavy saucepan, bring the cocoa, milk and butter to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir until thickened.
- Transfer to a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Roll into 1-in. balls; roll in pistachios. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 51 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 25mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Christmas Candies in Quick Cooking November/December 2004