- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional candied fruit, optional
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add evaporated milk, sugar, shortening, salt, eggs and 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Stir in fruit and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead). Place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 3-4 minutes. Pat evenly into a greased 10-in. tube pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack. Combine confectioners; sugar, milk and vanilla; drizzle over bread. Garnish with candied fruit if desired. Yield: 1 loaf.
Reviews forChristmas Bread
"Great recipe! It was quick and super easy. I wanted cinnamon raisin bread so instead of the candied fruit I added 1 cup of raisins and when it was time to knead the dough I alternately sprinkled in lines of cinnamon. It was amazing! I can't wait to make this for the holidays using the candied fruit. Thanks so much for sharing!"