Christmas Bishop’s Bread
Packed with cherries, chocolate and nuts, this delectable quick bread has become a Christmas family tradition.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup halved red and green candied cherries
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in chocolate chips, raisins, pecans and cherries.
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over warm bread.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 370 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 328mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Bishop's Bread in Country Woman Christmas 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.