Christmas Bishop’s Bread
Packed with cherries, chocolate and nuts, this delectable quick bread has become a Christmas family tradition.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup halved red and green candied cherries
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in chocolate chips, raisins, pecans and cherries.
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over warm bread.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 370 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 328mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Bishop's Bread in Country Woman Christmas 2004