VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tube refrigerated sugar cookie dough (16-1/2 ounces)
- Red and green paste food coloring
- On a lightly floured surface, knead flour into cookie dough just until blended. Divide into thirds. Tint one portion red; tint a second portion green. Leave remaining dough plain.
- Roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut four ornaments from each with a floured 3-1/4-in. round cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Cut four ornament stems from each color with a floured 3/4-in. round cutter; attach to ornaments.
- With the 3/4-in. round cutter, cut out holes across ornaments; replace with plain dough centers. With a straw or small pastry tip, cut out a small hole in each of the centers; replace with different colored centers.
- Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Christmas Ball Ornaments in Cookies & More 2011 2011, p63