Christina’s Italian Wedding Soup
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons grated onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cartons (32 ounces each ) chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups acini di pepe pasta
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) fresh spinach
- Additional minced fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Add chicken; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- 2. For soup, in a stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery and onions; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until onions are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 3. Stir in stock, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Drop meatballs into soup; cook, uncovered, 10 minutes. Gently stir in pasta; cook 10-12 minutes longer or until meatballs are cooked through and pasta is tender.
- 4. Stir in spinach. Top servings with parsley and cheese.
1-2/3 cups (calculated without additional cheese): 269 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 1083mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Mar 5, 2018
Delicious soup! This recipe is easy to follow and I'll definitely make it again. Thank you for your recipe Christina!
Jul 24, 2017
A delicious meal for fall and winter weather.
Dec 31, 2016
Awesome!! Don't be intimidated by the list of ingredients. I love the variation of chicken meatballs rather than beef. Saving this one!!
Jan 31, 2016
I made this soup for our family of three adults and we all loved it! I followed the directions exactly except that I used a 12 oz. package of frozen chopped spinach that I thawed and squeezed out instead of the fresh spinach as I already had the frozen package in the house. It made a lot and I ended up taking some of it to a neighbor, who loved it just as much!
Jan 11, 2016
Loved this recipe. I've never followed recipes exactly when it comes to soup but this one I did. The mini meatballs are great. I will say, I followed everything as written but added one thing, a heavy dash of nutmeg to the meatballs. After all, in Italian cooking, where there is lemon and Parmesan, there should be a hint of nutmeg! (At least in our Italian home:)
Jan 8, 2016
Outstanding! I was skeptical about lemon in the meatballs, but it was just a hint and gave a very delicate taste. I used ground chuck because it was what I had, as well I used cilantro and I did half and half of chicken and beef broth. I made really small meatballs and frankly the amount of meatballs is enough for another batch. I would cut back pasta a little as I also used ditalini which I think are a wee bit larger than acini de pepe.. I froze the rest of my meatballs for the next batch. Great recipe.
Jan 6, 2016
I will always use this meatball recipe. been looking for the best meatball recipe out there and finally found it....love this Italian soup too.....
Oct 31, 2015
my oh my this is absolutely delicious! It's a keeper! Thank you for sharing
Jun 9, 2015
This soup was delicious! The meatballs were amazing. I made the full batch of meatballs, but cut the soup recipe in half. I baked half the meatballs to use in another recipe. Next time I might use half a bag of spinach. I did add some italian seasoning to the soup.
Feb 14, 2015
Love this recipe. Fun and easy to cook. I've made it twice. We liked it better the second time with a little less garlic in the soup (not the meatballs). Plus a few flakes of crushed red pepper in the meatballs.