Christina’s Italian Wedding Soup
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons grated onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cartons (32 ounces each ) chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups acini di pepe pasta
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) fresh spinach
- Additional minced fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Add chicken; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- 2. For soup, in a stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery and onions; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until onions are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 3. Stir in stock, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Drop meatballs into soup; cook, uncovered, 10 minutes. Gently stir in pasta; cook 10-12 minutes longer or until meatballs are cooked through and pasta is tender.
- 4. Stir in spinach. Top servings with parsley and cheese.
1-2/3 cups: 269 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 1083mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Feb 13, 2019Excellent soup, my entire family loved it. I reduced the amount of spinach to 10 oz. and cut back on the pasta to half the amount. The full amount of pasta made the soup too thick, but still delicious!
Jan 31, 2019Very good recipe! I like the flavor of the lemon zest in the meatballs. It adds a subtle tang to the broth as well. I reduced the amount of spinach slightly, as I felt it was too much. And the parmesan garnish when serving is enjoyable. I will make this again.
Jan 26, 2019I think it's great. I didn't change anything. I want to do it with bow ties this time instead of acini de pepe. Do you have an idea what would be a corresponding amount to put in (ex. maybe 2 cups instead of 1 cup of pasta)? Thanks.
Mar 5, 2018
Delicious soup! This recipe is easy to follow and I'll definitely make it again. Thank you for your recipe Christina!
Jul 24, 2017
A delicious meal for fall and winter weather.
Dec 31, 2016
Awesome!! Don't be intimidated by the list of ingredients. I love the variation of chicken meatballs rather than beef. Saving this one!!
Jan 31, 2016
I made this soup for our family of three adults and we all loved it! I followed the directions exactly except that I used a 12 oz. package of frozen chopped spinach that I thawed and squeezed out instead of the fresh spinach as I already had the frozen package in the house. It made a lot and I ended up taking some of it to a neighbor, who loved it just as much!
Jan 11, 2016
Loved this recipe. I've never followed recipes exactly when it comes to soup but this one I did. The mini meatballs are great. I will say, I followed everything as written but added one thing, a heavy dash of nutmeg to the meatballs. After all, in Italian cooking, where there is lemon and Parmesan, there should be a hint of nutmeg! (At least in our Italian home:)
Jan 8, 2016
Outstanding! I was skeptical about lemon in the meatballs, but it was just a hint and gave a very delicate taste. I used ground chuck because it was what I had, as well I used cilantro and I did half and half of chicken and beef broth. I made really small meatballs and frankly the amount of meatballs is enough for another batch. I would cut back pasta a little as I also used ditalini which I think are a wee bit larger than acini de pepe.. I froze the rest of my meatballs for the next batch. Great recipe.
Jan 6, 2016
I will always use this meatball recipe. been looking for the best meatball recipe out there and finally found it....love this Italian soup too.....