Chrismat Stollen with Lemon Glaze
This is my favorite bread during the holidays. I've made it many times to give as Christmas gifts, and I always receive compliments on it.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups warm whole milk or warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 pound raisins
- 1/2 pound chopped blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped candied fruit
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- LEMON GLAZE:
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine milk or water and yeast. Let stand 3-5 minutes. Add 1 cup flour; mix well. Cover and let rest in a warm place until light and foamy, about 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add salt and lemon zest. Stir in the yeast mixture and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; knead in raisins, nuts and fruit. Divide into two parts; roll each into a 15x8-in. oval. Fold each in half lengthwise and place on a greased baking sheet. Brush with melted butter. Cover and allow loaves to rise until almost doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Combine all glaze ingredients; brush on tops of cooled loaves.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 303 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 172mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.