Chorizo Tomato Strata
With chorizo sausage, this oven-baked dish is a satisfying main course for any special breakfast. The seasonings blend to create a tantalizing taste everyone at your table will remember.—Donna Cowley, Mount Morris, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1/2 pound uncooked chorizo
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 loaf (1/2 pound) day-old French bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Crumble chorizo into a small skillet; cook and stir over medium heat until fully cooked. Drain. Stir in 1/3 cup cheese and cilantro.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Rub cut side of garlic clove over bread slices; discard garlic. Place bread in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with tomatoes, meat mixture and remaining cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt, pepper, onion powder and pepper flakes. Pour over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean (cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly). Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 242 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 172mg cholesterol, 597mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Strata with Fresh Tomato, Chorizo and Gruyere Cheese in Country Woman Christmas 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.