Chorizo-Stuffed Turkey Breast with Mexican Grits
This recipe features a wonderful combination of well-seasoned ingredients. It’s also a simple dinner option for a busy evening.—Veronica Gantley, Norfolk, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + standing
- 1 boneless skinless turkey breast half (2 pounds)
- 1/2 pound uncooked chorizo, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Cover turkey with plastic wrap; flatten to 1/2-in. thickness. Remove plastic. Spread chorizo over turkey to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; tie with kitchen string.
- Rub with oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a large ovenproof skillet, brown turkey on all sides. Bake at 350° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 170°. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, milk and remaining salt to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the chilies, cheese and remaining pepper. Serve grits with turkey. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 499 calories, 22g fat (8g saturated fat), 139mg cholesterol, 1086mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 51g protein.
Originally published as Chorizo Stuffed Turkey Medallions with Mexican Grits in Country Woman October/November 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.