This recipe features a wonderful combination of well-seasoned ingredients. It’s also a simple dinner option for a busy evening.—Veronica Gantley, Norfolk, Virginia
Recommended: 100 Great Ways to Use Canned Beans
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 boneless skinless turkey breast half (2 pounds)
- 1/2 pound uncooked chorizo, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Cover turkey with plastic wrap; flatten to 1/2-in. thickness. Remove plastic. Spread chorizo over turkey to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; tie with kitchen string.
- Rub with oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a large ovenproof skillet, brown turkey on all sides. Bake at 350° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 170°. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, milk and remaining salt to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the chilies, cheese and remaining pepper. Serve grits with turkey. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chorizo-Stuffed Turkey Breast with Mexican Grits in Country Woman October/November 2009, p31