Chops ‘n’ Kraut
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 6 bone-in pork loin chops (7 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- Sprinkle both sides of pork chops with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook three chops in 1 teaspoon oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until browned; drain. Repeat with remaining chops and 1 teaspoon oil.
- Place pork chops in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside. In the same skillet, cook onion in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, sauerkraut, brown sugar and caraway seeds. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil.
- Carefully pour over chops. Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 311 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 691mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 3g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 1, 2014
A great recipe to make in the slow cooker. I have it started now and I am sure it will be awesome. Its New Years day and so far its smells great. Gonna shovel some snow and cant wait for the great smell when I come back in. I luv pork and sauerkraut. BTW I use the Bavarian Kraut it has the caraway and sugar already in it.
Dec 13, 2010
i made this with both chops and keilbasa. great either way!
Mar 29, 2009
My boyfriend said he didnt like sauerkraut and then he ate this. He said it was great and he could not believe the taste. It was great and I will be making it again! Thanks!
Oct 9, 2008
I have never been a big fan of sauerkraut, but my husband loves it. So, I decided to try this dish. I really enjoyed it, because the sauerkraut isn't overpowering. It's a good blend of flavors. My husband also loved it, because it does have sauerkraut in it :-)