Chopped Greek Salad
While living in San Diego during college, I had a favorite Greek casual dining spot. Now that I'm back in my hometown, I've re-created some dishes from the Greek diner and it takes me right back. —Jennifer Tidwell, Fair Oaks, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 cups chopped romaine
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced Greek olives
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pepperoncini
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons pepperoncini juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Drizzle over salad; toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 235 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Jul 3, 2018
Any grilled meats or fish will gladly welcome this fresh, clean tasting salad. Olive oil keeps it on the light side while tangy ingredients take it to the Tasty Side. Perfect choice for hot summer nights. Volunteer Field Editor.