You'd never guess zucchini is the "secret ingredient" in this easy-to-assemble bread - it has such big chocolate taste! Charlotte McDaniel, from Williamsville, Illinois, informs, "I freeze extra zucchini from my garden in summer and make this bread to give as gifts all winter long."
Recommended: 50 Easy Fall Baking Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup raisins
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Whisk the eggs, oil, butter and extracts. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in zucchini, pecans and raisins. Pour into three greased and floured 8x4-in. loaf pans.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from the pans to wire racks. Yield: 3 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Chocolate Zucchini Bread in Country Woman January/February 1999, p41
Reviews forChocolaty Zucchini Bread
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 13, 2014
"made this yesterday. very easy and delicious."