Chocolaty Rocky Road Brownies
Friends have told me these are the best brownies they've ever eaten. That includes one man who ordinarily does not like cream cheese. Since there are peanuts in both the bars and the frosting, nut lovers will clamor for them. —Donna Phariss, Clear Lake, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, eggs, vanilla and chocolate mixture. Add flour and mix well. Stir in peanuts.
- Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine the butter, cream cheese, chocolate and milk. Cook over medium heat until melted, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat; stir in confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Transfer to a large bowl; beat until smooth. Stir in marshmallows and peanuts. Immediately spread over brownies. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 204 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Chocolatey Rocky Road Brownies in Country Woman May/June 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.