I have three daughters, and this is their favorite pie to help make and to eat. Most of the time, we make two pies so there's enough for seconds.—Lynn McAllister, Mt. Ulla, North Carolina
Recommended: Neapolitan Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 1 cup whipped topping
- Chocolate curls and additional sliced bananas, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, salt and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour half of the filling into pastry shell. Top with sliced bananas and remaining filling. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours. Garnish with whipped topping. Decorate with chocolate curls and additional bananas if desired.
- Yield 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Banana Cream Pie in The Best of Country Cooking Annual 2005, p116
Reviews forChocolaty Banana Cream Pie
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 30, 2010
"Make sure to keep stirring until mixture thickens. Otherwise the sauce pan will burn."