Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with yogurt, beating well after each addition. Fold in zucchini and carrots.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost cupcakes.
1 cupcake: 326 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 288mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 25, 2018Sure kids like them with all that sugar. Just one of them is the daily limit. Just because something has vegetables does not make it healthy.
Sep 4, 2017
I followed the recipe, except I used 2 cups zucchini and no carrots. I also added some chocolate chips. The kids really liked them, but we adults thought they were just ok.
Feb 11, 2017
DELICIOUS!! I ended up with about 1.5 c of carrots and also 1.25c zucchini, and it made 40 cupcakes. WOW! Moist and delicious! Served without frosting.
Dec 3, 2016
> I didn't have ne zucchini (caused I used them n other desserts) - so I used yellow squash - put them n2 the handy chopper and mashed the button a few times until there was nothing but yellow specks - these cupcakes turned out... pretty good!
Aug 23, 2016
Great tasting and you would never know there were veggies in it! I followed the recipe to the letter, only I baked this in a bundt pan and used a homemade frosting.
Aug 17, 2016
I made this recipe exactly as written tonight but baked it in a Bundt pan. It turned out beautifully and is delicious!
Aug 10, 2016
I tried these to see if I could get some veggies into my toddlers w/out them knowing...it worked! They loved them & so did I...moist and chocolatey...just how I like my cupcakes!
Dec 31, 1969
It would be nice to read reviews by people that actually made the original recipe. Otherwise your review is not at all helpful.
Jul 31, 2016
These were awesome with some changes. I used 1/2 cup butter plus 2 Tbs oil and 3/4 cup pumpkin. Used all zucchini, no carrots, cut down the sugar a little, and upped the cocoa a little.
Oct 18, 2015
The flavor is good, but a bit on the dry side. I followed the directions with the exception of adding additional yogurt from the detailed 1/2 cup to 1 cup because the batter was so thick - almost like cookie dough. Even after doing this I still had to use my cookie scooper to place them into the muffin tins. I am going to try reducing the flour amount from 2-1/2 cups down to 2 cups the next time around (and maybe add some applesauce for additional moisture without adding more fat.)