Chocolate Yum-Yum Cake
MY GRANDMOTHER first made this cake, and my mother made it often when I was a little girl. Today, at age 82, I'm still baking it. What better testimony to a delicious recipe! You can frost it or just sprinkle it with a little powdered sugar. Either way, it's great. -Dorothy Colli, West Hartford, Connecticut
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + cooling Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1-1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 teaspoons milk
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt butter and chocolate, stirring constantly. Add the sugar, raisins, water, cinnamon and cloves; bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat; pour into a large bowl and cool for 15 minutes. Beat in salt and vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda; add to chocolate mixture until well blended.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine icing ingredients; drizzle over cooled cake.
Editor's Note: An 11x7x2-in. baking pan can be used. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cake tests done.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 300 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Yum-Yum Cake in Reminisce November/December 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.