Your family will love this tender loaf of chocolate bread. Slices are excellent when toasted and spread with butter, cream cheese or peanut butter. —Laura Cryts, Derry, New Hampshire
Recommended: 33 Cozy Holiday Breads
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- In a bowl, combine 1-1/4 cups flour, cocoa, sugar, yeast, salt and baking soda. In a saucepan, heat the water, milk, chocolate chips and butter; stir until chocolate is melted. Cool to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup flour and egg; beat on high for 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until browned. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Chocolate Yeast Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p48