Chocolate Walnut Ring
Total TimePrep: 55 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 teaspoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast, cinnamon and salt. In a small saucepan, heat milk, water, butter and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg and yolk; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Combine filling ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into an 18x9-in. rectangle; sprinkle with filling to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; seal ends.
- Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends together to form a ring. With scissors, cut from outside edge two-thirds of the way toward center of ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist to allow filling to show. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over ring.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 175 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 79mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 18, 2011
very easy to make. I filled it with walnuts and cream cheese 1 package (sweetened with some confectioners sugar) left out the chocolate chips..
Jul 28, 2010
I’m not a big fan of walnuts, so I substituted them for almonds and it turned out great! The cinnamon really made the bread too, I love it!