Chocolate Velvet Dessert
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 egg yolks
- 1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a small bowl, combine wafer crumbs and sugar; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom and 1-1/2 in. up the sides of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Cool. In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks, cream and vanilla. Gradually stir a small amount of mixture into melted chocolate until blended; gradually stir in remaining mixture. Pour into crust.
- Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, cocoa and enough milk to achieve a piping consistency. Using a large star tip, pipe frosting on dessert.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 432 calories, 28g fat (16g saturated fat), 139mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 16, 2019
Do I remove the ring from the spring form pan before or after refrigeration?
Jan 14, 2019
So easy and delicious!! We are chocolate lovers, so this was perfect for us. It is very rich, and a very small slice is plenty, so it server a lot of people. VFE
Dec 28, 2016
I can't have wheat, so I made an almond crust instead of the cookie crust. The filling is amazing. Absolutely delicious. We found the frosting to be a bit much though, too sugary and really unnecessary. I've made it 3 times now, the second and third times without the frosting, and got rave reviews each time (even with the frosting).
Apr 28, 2013
Made this for Easter, but it was way too rich for our family. You could only eat a small sliver.
Apr 13, 2013
This dessert is delicious. I followed the recipe and it turned out great. It would be a good idea to have a glass of milk though because it is very rich. Excellent
Mar 29, 2013
Awesome! Creamy and delicious.
Mar 5, 2013
S-Pants put chocolate in pyrex bowl. Heat whipping cream to just under a boil in a mircrowave oven 3-5 minutes.Pour entire cream over the chocolate and stir with wisk Put back in microwave 30 seconds at a time if needed and continue to stir until it turns to a hot fudge color and chips are completely melted.I added unsweetened lilikoi juice to both the pie filling and the frosting.It was heavenly
Mar 5, 2012
This is definitely 5 stars when it comes to taste, but I had trouble gradually stirring in the cream mixture to the melted chocolate. I don't know if my chocolate was not cooled enough, but it harden immediately with just a little of the mixture added. I ended up putting it all back in the mixing bowl and blending it with the electric mixer until smooth. It might have been easier to have a second person pouring the cream mixture while I stirred in into the chocolate. In any case, it turned out fabulous! Very rich and decadent.
Jan 3, 2012
I made this for New Years Eve. I didn't have milk for the Topping so I used Coconut Creme Coffee Creamer. It had just a taste of Coconut. This Dessert is amazing!!!
Jan 18, 2011
This recipe was very easy to make. Even though the actually filling didn't call for sugar, the entire dessert is very sweet. You definitely only need a small slice or a glass of milk to balance out the sweetness. I really liked the crust!