Chocolate Velvet Cream
During hay season, when I can't make cheese and butter fast enough to keep up with our Jersey cow, I make this pudding recipe my mother gave my. It can be prepared ahead, and allows me to have a cool, delicious dessert for the haying crew.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
Makes10 servings (5 cups)
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In the top of a double boiler, combine chocolate and 1-1/2 cups milk. Cook over boiling water, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted. Dissolve gelatin in remaining milk; add to melted chocolate. Remove from the heat; add sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Let stand just until mixture starts to gel.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Fold chocolate mixture into cream. Chill until firm.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 267 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 45mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Velvet Cream in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.