- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a small saucepan, heat water and butter until butter is melted. Stir in brown sugar; mix well. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with coconut, chocolate chips, pecans and marshmallows.
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions; carefully pour over marshmallows. Bake 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before inverting cake onto a serving plate. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Upside-Down Cake
"Have taken this to several potluck events and never brought any home! Pam the pan and put parchment on it if you are concerned about sticking. Also, if you put the coconut down on the sugar syrup first, then the nuts, then the chips and finally the marshmallows, it flips to look like German chocolate cake! Am now getting requests to bring it instead of other favorites!"
"i greased the pan well with PAM and the cake cam out practically perfect!"
"I placed a piece of parchment paper at bottom of pan and when flipped cake over everything came out as it should. Very rich and yummy"
"I tried and loved this recipe. Didn't flip it over though. Just cut it into serving pieces while it's still in the pan and scoop out pieces!"
"This is really good and the guys at work all seem to like it. The only problem I have is getting all the goodies on the bottom to come out when I flip it over. I end up using a spatula to get it out and refrost the cake."