Chocolate Toffee Delights
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted and cooled
- 1 jar (12-1/4 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extracts. Combine flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 10 minutes. Prick crust with a fork; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake 15 minutes longer or until set.
- Meanwhile, place coconut and almonds in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in ice cream topping. Spread over crust. Bake 5-10 minutes or until edges are bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over caramel mixture. Let stand until chocolate is set. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 149 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 92mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Jan 26, 2014
The first time I made these, I processed the coconut and almonds as directed, but they were a bit too fine for me. The second time, I only slightly chopped the nuts and coconut in the food processor and liked it much better. I prefer more texture from the coconut and nuts. They taste a lot like my favorite GS cookie! The jar of caramel topping made the prep time much quicker, but next time I may try homemade caramel because the ice cream topping was a bit too runny.
Nov 27, 2013
These came out so yummy! I didn't have almond extract so I doubled up on vanilla extract. The shortbread was a little crumby, but I live in a dry climate, so maybe that's why. I will make it again!
Sep 16, 2012
Very good! I used 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract and they tasted great. Will definitely make these again.
Dec 23, 2011
Definitely a winner with me. If you like the Girl Scout cookie "Somoas" you'll love these.
Nov 20, 2011
These are very easy to make and they turned out great! Delicious!!!!
Oct 21, 2011
I actually give this 4 1/2 stars. I love this recipe... with or without homemade caramel. This recipe is great for Christmas or bake sales. Yum
Jul 19, 2011
These are good but getting 36 out of one batch is not going to happen. Maybe 24 but that is still a very small bar cookie.
Jun 22, 2011
These are FABULOUS!! My whole family loves them and they really do rival the girl scout cookie! I like them best cold from the fridge. A definite keeper!
Mar 1, 2011
Mine were not at all crumbly as one complained hers were. Maybe not enough butter was used that time.
Mar 1, 2011
Got rave reviews! One response I got from the bars was "Wow!" I said the same thing. Awesome!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.