Chocolate Swirl Panini
Pretty chocolate swirls throughout the interior of these tender Italian-style rolls make them a must-try. The tempting treats really stand out when served as part of a brunch or dessert. —Sara Bonetti, Oakland, California
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 2-1/4 cups bread flour
- 5 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the water, milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead in chocolate chunks until dough is smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 16 pieces. Shape each into a roll. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Beat egg and water; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 133 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 66mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Panini in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.