Chocolate Swirl Panini
Pretty chocolate swirls throughout the interior of these tender Italian-style rolls make them a must-try. The tempting treats really stand out when served as part of a brunch or dessert. —Sara Bonetti, Oakland, California
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 2-1/4 cups bread flour
- 5 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the water, milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead in chocolate chunks until dough is smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 16 pieces. Shape each into a roll. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Beat egg and water; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 133 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 66mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.