Chocolate Swirl Cake
This tasty chocolate cake from Gail Maki of Marquette, Michigan won't ruin your waistline. Pretty swirls of cream cheese dress it up while cherry pie filling provides moistness. "Sometimes I add miniature chocolate chips for an extra-special treat," Gail says.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (20 ounces) reduced-sugar cherry pie filling
- 5 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pie filling, egg whites and vanilla just until moistened. Spread into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar substitute and vanilla until smooth. Add egg whites; beat on low speed just until combined. Spread over batter; cut through batter with a knife to swirl.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and topping is set. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda no-calorie sweetener.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 207 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 350mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Chocolate Swirl Cake in Quick Cooking March/April 2005